A visionary musical journey for the soul. Uplifting lyrical vocals to modern beats. Rooted in a deep love for the earth and the incredible force of resilience that lives within the heart of all creation.
This album is a prayer for these times. And a prayer for the divine feminine who is rising strong in all of us.
Definition of resilience
: the capability of a strained body to recover its size and shape after deformation caused especially by compressive stress
: an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change
We believe that right now we are in a major time of transition. We are being pushed to new limits, and the world at large is in deep need of healing. And through all that is unfolding, We are transforming, transmuting into something new. Though none of us know what lays ahead, we need to believe in our resilience, follow it, and trust it completely. We are stronger than we can imagine. And It is only through love and belief in ourselves and one another we will be able to rise up into our truth. Simply put our souls are on a journey, and we have come here to learn. This earth is a school. A place to change, to grow to evolve. May this music be a humble offering to remind you to keep to the path, and remember you are never alone.
1. Water is Life is a prayer for the waters deeply inspired by the water protectors in North Dakota and their powerful message to the world. We chose to begin with a water song as spending time in many traditional Native Algonquin ceremonies i have learnt that we always begin by honouring the water. As a woman and mother who has bore life, we are the guardians for the water. And it is our responsibility to sing for her, speak for her, honour her always.
2. 7 generations forward was written in a midwifery house in Ottawa. Influenced by the energy and magic of birth and life and what kind of world our children will be inheriting and how we need to raise them to be strong in these times ahead. To live as though our actions had influence beyond time and space. Impacting those who came before and those who will come after.
3. Ancestors is a song that celebrates my lineages and the lineages of all. Honoring all who walked before us. It explores my journey on What it means to be a global Mut. Bloodlines tracing back through eternity. My father indigenous Venezuelan. My mothers side South African English. Raised on islands in south east Asia Philippines. Birthed in Athens Greece. Apprenticing and living in the Mountains of Peru. This song celebrates the beauty of being a child of the earth and that this mother Gaia is Home.
4. Never be defeated was written on a very hard day. It was written in winter, facing a true dark night of the soul moment in time. A walk in the rain, Overwhelmed by news, environmental calamities and a feeling of hopelessness. And in that dark moment i stood up and said Fuck you. You will never defeat us. We are made of stars. Watch us rise. Our souls are unbreakable.
5. Awaken was written just at the end of recording the album. Written in the spring it was a last minute addition written and composed the week we were packing up our tiny cabin to drive across the country. A prayer for the awakening in the hearts of all of us as earth walkers.
6. We are the guardians was a song that was inspired after a wild dance party after a beautiful circle of women. Driving home to the full moon i began to sing the song to myself over and over. We workshoped it through the week and watched it evolve to a rock and dance song imbued with a sense of responsibility and love for life.
7. Starlight was written in the middle of the amazon jungle in the midst of a 3 month plant Dieta. It is still my favorite song.
8. Warrior stand tall is a spoken word piece put to keys and guitar added later on. It was originally themed a story but turned into more of a song through the editing process.
9. I have a dream bonus track. Was the first song i ever wrote 7 years ago. It has always been a favourite for people in performances, and so we decided to add it to the album even though it stands as a different piece in context to the rest of the album.
We hope you enjoy!
released August 31, 2017
all songs written by Athena Guzman Poole
co-written by Jeremy Sills and Athena Guzman Poole
Jeremy Sills: piano, synth, acoustic guitar, djembe, vocals
Shambunata: Vdrum kit, shakers, djembe, congas
Eric Hogg: bass & electric guitar
produced by Athena Guzman Poole
recorded*, mixed* & mastered by Eric Hogg @ Soma Sound in Victoria, BC
*except "7 Generations Forward" recorded & mixed by Andy Meyers @ Allowed Sound on Salt Spring Island, BC allowedsound.com
*except "I Have A Dream" recorded by Jason Jaknunas @ Metropolitan Studios in Ottawa, ON jasonjaknunas.com
We are the guardians, There are so many of us. Seen and unseen and we will answer this call. We will stand with love for what is true. We will pull back the veil and see with eyes wide open. And choose the path of heart every time.